Sunday, May 18, 2014

Pickpocket - 1 Carol - 0




My notion that I am a savvy traveler was shattered on our first morning in Paris when I was "pick pocketed" in the metro. Fortunately I lost only the cosmetic bag I was carrying in my small Rick Steves purse - think I may have left it unzipped when I took out a pen to note something about our metro route.  Or maybe he unzipped it as it was dragged around to my back when I went through the turnstile.  In any case it was a good lesson with minor consequences since I lost nothing of value. It all happened so fast and I didn't notice it missing until we were on the platform. When I ran back up to the area I saw the same guy following another woman through the turnstile and realized what had just happened to me.  We made eye contact and I so wanted to tell him my lipstick color was all wrong for him  - but I don't speak that much French!  And I was uncertain about the wisdom of being too confrontational with an obvious pickpocket/thief so I let  it go.  The incident provided a perfect excuse for browsing the tacky souvenir shops for replacement items.  I now have a charming bag, mirror and pill box all tastefully decorated with iconic Parisian graphics.  I am even more convinced that a "waist safe" is the way to go as all things of value were hidden in it under my clothes. 



No comments:

Post a Comment