Monday, April 23, 2012

Is my house trying to tell me something?

I have a high school classmate who has become a successful Feng Shui lecturer, author and practitioner. She has an attractive website that I have visited a few times, more out of curiosity than real interest but one thing that caught my eye was the discussion of her book "Conversations with your home." I haven't actually read the book (not available at my library...) but it seems to be about the connection between us and our homes - how our lives are impacted by structural and spatial aspects of our living spaces, as well as the "stuff" we have and how it is organized and arranged. I admit to a few snickers at some of what I read.

But not any more. About a week ago we awoke to find our basement rec room carpeting soaked by water seeping in due to some eroded landscape and a blocked gutter. If my house is trying to tell me something, I have to confess to being a poor listener because this is the third or fourth time I have been in this situation, having lived in this house for over 30 years. I am feeling like I really should have parted with the $20 for that book!

All joking aside, it has been a stressful week. After our initial attempts to lift the very heavy carpeting and drag out the even heavier soaked padding we admitted defeat and called in the professionals. And after 24 hours of tough talk with ourselves we decided to really listen this time and have the basement drain tiled.

Right now I feel like I have prepped my house for surgery. Absolutely everything is boxed, furniture is moved to at least 4 feet from the perimeter and covered. The carpet is pulled back and the floor exposed, awaiting the jack hammers. I sure hope I heard my house right this time because it is too late to turn back now. Let's get this over with so we can all begin to heal our happy home.

No comments:

Post a Comment